Friday, March 31, 2006

MORE SILLY

I came to bed a while ago
Yet I am still awake
For the waves against the shore go
Whoosh and crash when they break,
And the bullfrogs like to bellow
In the reeds down by the lake,
And those crickets in the meadow-
What an awful din they make.
But worst of all is the obnoxious crow,
Whose life I’d like to take.
I wish they’d all be quiet so
I can sleep for goodness sake.

* * *
If I could finish a task
Simply by wishing it so
Then people would surely ask
Me to help them shovel snow.
They’d want help with other things too
Like picking crops and fixing leaks,
And in a moment I could do
What would normally take me weeks.
Ah yes, my fortune would be made
If I only had that power-
For I’d insist on being paid
By the job and not the hour.

* * *
There’s a thin line between ripe and rot.
Is this fruit good or is it not?
In order to find out if it is
I’ll feed a piece to my little sis.
By her reaction I can tell
Far better than by sight or smell
If it’s good or if it’s not-
If it’s ripe or gone to rot.

No comments: