Monday, September 21, 2009

OBJECTS THAT PREDATE THE MERGER


The year was 2001. I had moved to St Albans where I had taken a job with the Police Department there, but it would be four months before Sarah and I would say "I do." I was renting a one-bedroom efficiency apartment at 19A Lower Welden Street in St Albans, but for the first several months I slept in a sleeping bag. So one day I drove over to Kmart for the sole purpose of purchasing some bedding. This was the comforter I bought. I liked this one because of the colors. The stripes of yellow and blue against a white background gave off a springtime warmth- open water and lemons. It reminded me of a beach and palm trees- an attractive color scheme in the gray and white days of a late winter. Of course, when I got home and made my bed properly for the first time I couldn't help but feel a tingle of excitement as I thought of the coming day when I would share the bed with Sarah- a very exciting thought indeed. These days the blanket is kept folded and tucked away under Jack's bed. I keep it there because he often wakes up in the middle of the night and has trouble going back to bed unless I am there with him. So this comforter finds continued use today as my emergency bedding on those nights when Jack demands a late night audience.

No comments: