Wednesday, August 12, 2009

HERE'S A RANT FOR YOU!

Here's another great article about what this whole Obamacare mess is revealing about the administration and the nation. I admire Rabinowitz's work in this article wherein she writes with forceful eloquence. I like when my viewpoint is so ably articulated.

This article and a few others I have been reading recently have got me thinking. There are few things as frustrating for me personally as watching a panel discussion on TV where the guy/gal representing my viewpoint is an inarticulate hack. I'm not saying I could do better. Far from it. I stutter, become unnecessarily abrasive, and get too emotional in debate. I'm just saying that there is something uniquely gratifying in having someone publicly champion your viewpoint, and do it well. Inversely, it is supremely frustrating to watch someone in the public forum who does more service for the opposition through his inept bumbling and uninspired efforts. Most often, they protray an unhelpful caricature of me and mine and do not faithfully represent the depth of our argument. Yes, two sentences back I said "opposition!" When did it become wrong to be "OPPOSED" to bad people and bad ideas? How partisan of me!!! Yeah, I'm partisan, and I'll have no truck with the other camp for I don't see any room to compromise with their vision for our society. I am not one of those so-called "conservatives" who aspires to compromise with liberals on issues such as abortion or the role of government in our society. I say let's ride this ship to victory or go down with it! In fact, I believe that our salvation lies in sincere conviction and a pure message- not riding the fickle current of popular opinion. Oh, but these buffoonish pundits trotted out before the likes of Chris Matthews, Rachel Maddow and the odious Keith Olberman... all I can say is that I might agree with them in susbstance, but I cannot always agree with them in spirit. The same goes for the likes of Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity and Glen Beck. Not a fan. They may not be advocates of compromise, but I just don't like the way they talk and frame ideas. I think that's why I like Charles Krauthammer so much. He's refreshing to me.

I have a friend who says that she doesn't root for one team or another in football. She just likes to see a good play. She just likes good football. I don't feel the same way about football or ideas. I don't appreciate a forceful argument , a well turned phrase or a handsomely worded piece if it promotes a bad idea any more than I appreciate a touchdown run against the redskins. To me, giftedness is only as good as the cause it is employed in.

1 comment:

MomZup said...

Well said, Josh. I will now read the piece you highlighted. Thanks.