Saturday, October 11, 2008

I LOVE BIG EMPTY BUILDINGS

There is just something about a big empty space that draws me. At some point during nearly every workday I slink off to one of the empty meeting halls on the grounds to spend some time alone with God. I love to lay in the middle of the floor or more often I kick off my shoes and walk around in a circle as I do my thing. I can't quite put my finger on what it is I enjoy about big empty buildings. Is it the way my voice bounces off the walls? Is it just the joy of being all by myself? Sliding in through the door into the hush of a big empty space gives me the same feeling I get when I walk out of the glaring sun into the shade or out of 100 degree heat into an air conditioned restaurant. It's relief, pure and simple... but relief from what? I'm not sure.

No comments: