Tuesday, July 29, 2008

THE COMPANY OF MEN

I found myself recently accompanying Bowden to a crowded Men's Room because he needed to "poop." Upon entering the men's room I instantly noted that all of the toilets were in use, but Bowden wasn't satisfied until he peeked under every door. Finding none available, Bowden started a little dance as he chanted loudly, " I have to go, I have to go, I really have to go" over and over again. Finally an elderly asian man exited stall number two, gave Bowden a knowing smile, and Bowden, ignoring the man, rushed into the stall like the ocean filling a breach.

For a few minutes Bowden was quiet and I stood off to one side listening with a half a mind to the ordinary busy bathroom sounds- water running, flushing, paper towels dispensing and ripping, shoes scuffing over wet tile- then Bowden's inappropriately loud voice shouted from inside his stall,

"Daddy!"

"Yes, son."

"I got poop on my underwear. Lots of poop!"

"Shhhh! Bowden, not so loud. We'll just throw them away."

You could have heard a pen drop. A few men nodded their heads and smiled their silent encouragement to me- fellow fathers I suspected. Then one man, fat and bald with a goatee, bellowed towards Bowden's stall, "It's okay little Dude!" and another chimed in "It's happened to me too, man."

Everyone laughed.

The company of men.

Bowden cracked the door and handed me the soiled power ranger underwear, which I threw away, and a few moments later he emerged himself a celebrity.

"Way to go little Dude!"

4 comments:

sharon said...

I laughed really hard even though I've already heard this story.

I'd laugh again. I just did, thinking about it.

Sherry said...

someday when he grows up he is going to be very unhappy you posted this.

sharon said...

I heard there was a men's bathroom story, but this surpassed my expectations of funny!
Is THAT how men bond?

sharon said...

That last comment and this one are actually me: Annie-mom, as I guess Rosie was the last one to be online. Credit where credit is due!