Sunday, June 08, 2008

THE HUNT


When it comes to the pursuit of the opposite sex I think that most men and women can be divided into two broad categories that I call wolves and trophy hunters.
.
Wolves survey the herd looking for the low hanging fruit- the sick, malnourished, injured, etc... The wolf looks for weakness and exploits it.
.
Trophy hunters pursue the best. They doggedly pursue their prize, they wait patiently passing up lesser animals, until they bring down that one...the best. They look for excellence and pursue it.
.
She walked the street like a hunted thing
Or maybe she was a-hunting
With girls like her it's hard to say
If they are predator or prey
(an excerpt from "My Days as a Gel Tech")

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was totally a trophy hunter. I got me a good prize too.

I like your poem.

barefootkangaroo said...

I love to hear it! I like to think of you sitting sleepily in a blind, the hush of early morning sitting heavily over the primeval forest when and all of a sudden, out of the woods at the edge of the clearing steps Justin! Cautiously at first and then becoming more comfortable he boldly steps out into the line of fire- KabooOOOooom.

What a specimen!

I also am a trophy hunter! We should exchange hunting stories someday!

barefootkangaroo said...

Of course, it isn't a perfect analogy, Hunter and prey are not equals and ultimately a hunter's motives are altogether selfish- the object of the hunt only exists to satisfies the hunter's appetite (for food or glory).

...but if you can get past the obvious problems with the analogy I still think that it is a true division of people- wolves and trophy hunters.

Of course a burgeoning relationship between two people should not resemble a hunter/prey relationship (although many sadly do...)