Friday, May 26, 2006

I HAVE DECIDED TO GET A CAT!!!

I hate vermin, and my house is overrun with them. In the past three days I have personally cornered and dispatched four of the nasty buggers with my shoe. I didn't enjoy it, but I find that it is more effective than traps.

This is the second time that my hatred (and fear, if I may be candid and a little vulnerable) have compelled me to purchase a cat. It was rats in St Albans that caused my shadow to fall across the humane society's doorway. I strode in and told the lady behind the desk "Look, I'm not looking for a pet. I want a working animal. Can you show me a cat that will kill things, because I can't have a lazy one. This animal has its work cut out for it." The lady walked through the "cat room" and down a long corridor. As we walked the lady explained to me that the cat she had in mind was too vicious to put with the the other cats so they kept her in a small room next to where the dogs were kept. She opened a door and there perched atop a washing machine was Molly. I went over to inspect her and she bit me. I turned and told the lady "I want this one. She's perfect!" At first Molly and I didn't get along, but I won her over with tuna fish. Her favorite game was to attack me, and I still have the shredded sweatshirt sleeves to prove it. Molly held up her end of the bargain too. She killed and ate so many rodents that sarah stopped buying cat food for her. Molly preferred the taste of blood, and although she never stopped killing and eating stuff she did mellow out. She actually became a great little cat. I have always been a dog person, but Molly convinced me that cats are the more useful animal, and that counts for a lot with me. Now I'm a cat person. Shortly after we moved to California Molly was killed and consumed herself by a coyote. Ah well... live by the sword- die by the sword.

But now I have been convinced of the necessity of acquiring another cat. Do any of you out there in the blogosphere have any tips on how to pick a good mouser. I mean, it's hard to tell just by looking at a cat if it is any good or not, and I want them all dead.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Josh, my boy, the female of the species are the much better hunters. They are often less cuddly companions but will do the job you want done and may in the bargain be wonderful family pets. Remember Omega???

barefootkangaroo said...

Truth. Molly too was a female. So... why is Sarah so cuddly then?

Anonymous said...

perhaps scratchy is available. he's the most violent cat that comes to mind, although itchy never seemed to stay dead did he?

Anonymous said...

Momzup is right.

I suggest finding this cat's twin.

A favorite pastime of her's is to taunt her food before killing and eating it by sneaking into the house with the live critters and playing with it in the bathroom shower stall.

Abigail said...

I'll be on the lookout for Puss'nboots. If I find him, (s)he'll be shipped post haste!

sarah said...

i am vicious, just so you know.