Sunday, April 09, 2006

SEE YA IN A WEEK

This will be my last post for approximately a week. Sarah and I are taking the kids to her Grandparent's beach house in Oxnard for her Birthday. I hope you have a happy Easter! !

He is Risen!

One last question before I go...

If you could only eat for a half hour each day when would you schedule your eating time? I would eat at 11 am.

and one last poem for those of you who enjoy them (but never comment)...

The old tree was there before the town-
When forest stretched for miles around
And moccasined feet traversed the ground.
Before the farmers and lumberjacks
Came out this way with saw and ax
To harvest the woods and clear their tracts
The old tree was there.

It is dying now beside the way.
When will it fall? I cannot say.
But it will fall down, for sure, some day.
Perhaps it will fall by weight of snow
Or maybe the wind will lay it low
More likely an ax will deal the blow
For it is dying now.

They say it’s a hazard to passersby
With its rotting mass sixty feet high-
Gravity laden against the sky.
I’m sentimental about that tree-
More sentimental than I should be,
And my neighbors say they all agree
For it’s a hazard.

“You should cut it down, remove it so
It won’t block the road or worse you know
It could fall on someone passing below”.
But they’re respecters of other’s lands
And on my side of the fence it stands
So the job must fall to my own hands.
I should cut it down.

I should cut it down. It’s true I should,
And chop it up for firewood.
They’d be relieved if I would.
For many times they’ve quickened their pace
As they were passing by that place
With it’s heavy shadow on their face.
I should cut it down.

Our forefathers left the job undone.
Of those ancient trees they left just one
And I should finish the work they had begun.
Yet, at the thought, I hesitate.
Some voice within me urges debate,
But in the end I simply restate
I should cut it down

The old tree was there since long before
Even the pilgrims stepped ashore
Maybe four-hundred years or more,
But I will finish the job.


Have a joyous and victorious Easter! He is risen!

8 comments:

La Joconde said...

I'd eat at 6 PM (if i didn't work and can stay in my bed, i'd wake up at 12 AM and sleep at 12 PM) in other situations i wonder about.

La Joconde said...

Happy Birthday to Sarah (if I have understood) and happy Easter!

Don't eat too chocolate! When you begin it's difficult to stop.

Have a good week!

Anonymous said...

I would also eat at about 6 pm. In fact, I often eat for the first time each day then anyway. Maybe 5.

And I do enjoy the poems and even occasionally comment.

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

I'm going to say 11am. If I would ever have to enage the blue collar again, to withold from eating would make the day very hard to win I think.

Widjiwat verse is Shel Silverstein on steroids to me. I'd comment if I weren't so envious. Your poem about rocks is nothing shy of genius.

He is risen indeed!

Abigail said...

Happy hip hip birthday! (To Sarah or Grandmother, whoever is the lucky duck...)

I used to and still do like your rhythm and rhyme, and I enjoyed the read.

My fingers will fumble here again, but before I take my tonight leave, know that you and Sarah are the coolest ever. The edible castle large enough to live in turned me green with envy. I wish my kids would make me one for Christmas morning...

barefootkangaroo said...

I agree with my Brother, Job, on this one. 11 or 11:30 is the pefect time. You don't want to blow your one meal tto early in the day. Nor do you want to wait until later in the day. 11-11:30 is the pefect time.

Anonymous said...

the best time to eat would be at waking...make it 9 am so i can just get it over with...

i had a wonderful birthday at the beach- so, so, so nice. i love springtime, and i love having birthdays at the beach. that's it from now on.
and all the widjiwats!

La Joconde said...

What a lucky woman!
I won't probably have my birthday at the beach (it's in January)... I like snow but i dream of coconut palm. I love springtime too.
I wish you many wonderful things, Sarah, for this year.
And to each one who'll read this lines, I wish all your dreams come true.