Wednesday, December 02, 2009

VERY DICKENS

So, over $1200 in recent (and unexpected) automotive repair costs have prompted the Western Tates to find some creative ways to cut costs on some common Holiday expenditures. I told Sarah I was going to scour the forest round about for a promising tree to haul indoors. After all we live squarely in the midst of a vast forest comprised primarily of evergreens of various sorts. Sarah gave me a look when I made the suggestion, which even I must confess was justified due to a fiasco I foisted upon her several years ago involving a scraggly cedar which she proved allergic too and which failed to bear the weight of our ornaments. You were right about that, honey- I concede. So I told her that I would take a picture of any promising trees I found and she could judge if they were worthy before I went to the effort of dragging it home. This was the best one I found- my first submission. Keep looking, honey? I know, kind of reminiscent of a Charlie Borwn Christmas, huh? Now, it wouldn't sell at a Christmas tree lot, but that's not the point. We know if we go this route that none of the wild trees round about will be able to hold a candle to those that have been farmed and carefully manicured. It's pretty bare, and scraggly even, but it is a fir. That's something right? At least it has the right pedigree. It has a relatively nice shape. I don't know, what do you think?

Well?

2 comments:

Joel Tom Tate said...

I say wait till Christmas Eve and see if someone in the Wal-Mart parking lot gives you one. Oh Josh, I feel your pain. We cut one down from Elliott land 2 Christmases ago and it was one sided. Joel had to bungee cord it to some makeshift stand that he made. All the needles fell off before Christmas. It was plan sad. Spending $45 on a Christmas Tree always makes me feel sick in the tummy. Things are tight here as well (we are van-less still)and I have been wondering if these Green Mountains have anything to offer us. Keep searching . . .

barefootkangaroo said...

No pain involved thankfully. For now, I'm enjoying the challenge.