Friday, November 20, 2009

FELT BOARDS ARE SURPRISINGLY EXPENSIVE

On average I spend approximately one hour a night putting my kids to bed, and I love it! It has evolved into a very structured time. First we read some picture books. Then the kids get into bed and I read a chapter or two from our chapter book. Then I turn out the lights and tell a story. Then I sing a few songs. Then I pray with them. It has become a real highlight of my day, but I want to be more purposeful and intentional about using that time to drop some truth on my kids. I see it morphing into more of a devotional time. I have become obsessed in recent months with incorporating a felt board into the nightly routine. Wouldn't that be awesome?!?! I have looked into it and some come with multiple scenes and precut figures to go with just about every Bible story. They're incredible! The only catch is they cost between $200-$300! I know!!! How can felt cost that much?

Deuteronomy 6:4-9

4 comments:

Joel Tom Tate said...

At those prices you're getting into the territory where it might make more sense to pick up an inexpensive digital projector. Powerpoint doesn't have the nostalgic cache of feltboard, but it does give you more options.

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

Josh, ebay felt board stories...cheap

The Fredricksons: Brian, Britney, Salty, and Benji said...

or make your own. it just costs a few bucks to make one. Then you can buy the Bible pieces off ebay. Or craigslist or something.

Besides, power point doesn't allow the children to go play with the felt board at their leisure. Allowing them to manipulate the pieces and make their own stories, or act out their favorite ones.

I think a felt board in the Tate house sounds like a grand idea.

Tricia said...

If you can build a wigwam, I think that a felt board shouldn't be that difficult. Then maybe hunt around your church cabinets for some old characters...or have Sarah put a request for some out on facebook....who knows who might send you some. I know there are some old David C Cook packets laying around unused somewhere.