Saturday, April 18, 2009

MIDNIGHT MUSINGS

It's midnight, I'm done with my course work for tonight, and for some reason I'm feeling kind of nostalgic for bygone Houghton days. It must be something about sitting bleary-eyed in front of a computer late at night and thumbing through books- forcing my tired brain to read and type. Now that my books are laid aside and my progress safely stored away in the computer, I wish I could wander down the hall to see who else is up or maybe throw on a coat and walk across campus- smelling that cool Houghton damp-earth-and-river-in-the-springtime-smell. Maybe I'll call on Sarah and see if she wants to make a late night run to the Truck Stop for pie. Hmmm...truck stop pie. Hmmm...freedom.

Someday, in a future scenario, I wonder if I will find myself reminiscing about the days when I was back in the log house at Maranatha, working on my MDIV, with the house quiet and my little kids in bed. Yep, I bet that's true, today is the day I will long for tomorrow. It's like when Sarah and I were dating long distance, she in CA and me back east, and I was living on memories and anticipation- one foot in the past, another lost in the future, and all I gave the present was a shadow of myself. I struggle with being content sometimes. I am kind of a small man that way.

Not there...HERE.
Not then...NOW.
Not that...THIS.

"Someday," and "remember when" are as tedious as they are unsubstantial.

It's time to commit to the present.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

The present is a difficult place to be....the trials are so real and the victories over them are yet to be won. I'm with you though, I don't want to waste today. Never again will Belle be 3 1/2 and John 15 months....never again will the opportunities of today be the same. I have lately been trying to grasp that this is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.