Monday, August 18, 2008

MY SHOES- #1

On a cold late-winter morning during my junior year of high school my Mother and I drove up to the Dexter shoe store on Rt. 4 between Rutland and Killington and bought this handsome pair of shoes. That was roughly 13 years ago. I remember not liking them at first and they were relegated to 3rd string. For years they rarely saw any action, and most often saw use only when a dressier pair of shoes was called for.
When I went away to college they went with me, and, being a little more broken in, saw increased action, but they were still mostly my go to dress shoes. It was this very pair of shoes that I was wearing when president Daniel Chamberlain handed me my diploma, and also when I interviewed for the St Albans City Police Department.
After many years of patiently waiting unused in the back of the closet "the dexters" have been recently promoted to my first choice in shoes and Captain of the footwear. For many years they have faithfully beared my girth and accompanied me on many diverse outings. There are holes in the soles, and the rubber is thin enough that I feel every pebble, but they are wonderfully contoured to my unique feet.
I am afraid that they are not long for this world, and many folks would have tossed them into the trash years ago, but I intend to wear them until they disintegrate or a well-informed medical opinion argues against their further use.

1 comment:

lisa d said...

i like the perma-dust in the creases. that's a mountain shoe.