Sunday, August 17, 2008

INCREDIBLE EDIBLE

This past Thursday we made Bananas Foster for the incredible edible which always precedes our weekly Pilgrim's Progress study. The incredible edible is an unusual or unusually delicious food item. Everyone agreed that this was the best one yet and certainly the most edible. (Some dispute the edible nature of our earlier experiments.)
I was first introduced to Bananas Foster by our friends the Whites. On their suggestion I decided to make it for the staff. It was incredibly edibly delicious, and our house was filled with that heavenly smell of bananas foster for the next day.
Here's how to make it:

You'll need:

1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup brandy
4 medium bananas

In pan over medium-high heat, melt butter, add brown sugar & cinnamon, stir, add sliced bananas and cook until carmelized. Pour in brandy and ignite- STAND BACK!!! Once all the alcohol has burned off, pour it over ice cream and enjoy. I hear it is also good served on crepes. I'm sad I didn't get a picture of the fireball that results from touching fire to a 1/4 cup of brandy. It was IMPRESSIVE!


Being a complete teetotaler, it felt strange having a big bottle of Brandy on my kitchen counter. I remember when I first began working as a police officer I became curious what beer tasted like. Every day I was going into work and doing little else but dealing with drunks, and I thought that drinking a beer might give me some small perspective into their situation. So one day as I was buying groceries I bought some budweisers as well. They sat in my fridge for a week or so, and I just couldn't bring myself to drink them. Except for when I was very little and my Grandpa gave me a sip of his "super apple juice," I had never imbibed alcohol. My virgin lips and my upbringing kept me from the intended experiment, and one day as I sat watching TV after work I thought, "What if I died in a car accident and my folks came up to clean out my apartment? They would always wonder about that 6-pack in my fridge. So I poured them down the sink, and tossed the empties into the recycling bin.

Those drunks should experiment with my lifestyle.

No comments: