Saturday, July 19, 2008

SEEING STEVE OFF

Before checking in at LAX Steve wanted to go to the Pacific. It was his first time to the shores of that great salty expanse and he was resolved to swim in its waters before leaving. So we went to Santa Monica which is near the airport.
Steve- fresh from his dip in the ocean.

Santa Monica is easily the best place on the surface of the planet to do some people watching. There are some interesting folks down there at the pier.
Unfortunately, our time with Steve came to an end. It was nice while it lasted.
We spent the night in the valley, and in the morning we met Sarah's Grandparents at Las Lomas. I love their corizo and eggs. Bowden likes getting together with Umpa because they're old war buddies.

Sarah and the kids stayed in the valley for a while to help Nanny with a few things. I had to get back up the mountain to work. About halfway up the mountain I had to pee so I pulled over at a pull out. After I had relieved myself I noticed a trail across the road. I decided, on a lark, to follow the trail. The path, bordered by bracken ferns and overshadowed by pines and cedars, struck out away from the road before cutting back downhill towards a stream. I followed the stream back towards the highway, and found, to my delight, that it flowed through an old stone tunnel. It was cool and shady in their and I sat on the cool concrete next to the stream praying for a while as vehicles rumbled overhead.





No comments: