Wednesday, June 18, 2008

KICK- INSTALLMENT #7

“What are you?” asked Kick.

The tiny man said nothing. He just stared straight ahead with a strange expression on his face.

Kick didn’t know what to do. He felt that he should do something, but he was confused and things were progressing too quickly for him to respond in a collected way. Without thinking it through fully he suddenly blurted out, “If you try to get away I’ll smash you!” With his free hand he raised his fist in a threatening gesture.

The tiny man’s eyes met Kick’s with a level gaze that communicated a naked but impotent hatred. The fear had apparently left him, and he stared at Kick defiantly from within the dead bass.

“Are you a leprechaun?” asked Kick “I mean do I get a wish or whatever?”

This made the tiny man laugh, a thin raspy laugh, more contemptuous than amused.

“What would you wish for?” asked the man with a voice so small that kick had to lean in closer and ask him to repeat himself.

“What would you wish for?” asked the man a second time. “…if I were a Leprechaun.”

“I knew it! You’re a leprechaun. I can’t believe this is really happening!” said Kick, suddenly beaming triumphantly.

With a strange halting accent the tiny man said “No, I am not a Leprechaun, but I think I may have been sent to offer you something of great value. It's nothing you want, but it is what you need.”

Kick didn’t like riddles. “What do you mean you were sent to me?” and “What are you gonna give me?”

"Offer..." the little man corrected.

He suddenly closed his eyes, bowed his head, and began speaking in a tongue that Kick didn’t recognize. “Are you praying? Asked Kick. The little man ignored his question and continued praying.

After a few moments, thelittle man opened his eyes and looked at Kick. “It wouldn’t do me any good to escape so I won’t try. If you treat me well and keep me a secret I’ll explain everything to you.”

“Just remember…I’ll smash you.” Said Kick.

No comments: