Sunday, June 17, 2007

DEER HUNTING WITH ISHKUDAH

Chief Thunderbird made an appearance at Bowden's Birthday Party and distributed the popcorn balls for which he is famous throughout the San Jacinto Mountains. Chief Thunderbird, played by none other than the incomparable and good-natured Grant Jaffarian, mysteriously appeared from the surrounding forest after being summoned by our drum and led the little Indians on a deer hunt .



Using methods known only to him, Chief Thunderbird skillfully tracked the deer to a spot next to Bear Creek, where it was found browsing beneath the pines.





Upon finding the deer any semblance of an organized hunt fell away and Bowden and his friends resorted to their most primal instincts. They quickly abandoned the cheap plastic bows and arrows and used sticks, rocks and little rubber knives to bludgeon, stab and crush the poor deer. It was very Lord of the Flies and a little disturbing to watch. Bowden knew that I had put the goodie bags inside the deer so he very determinedly set about cutting a hole in it despite my suggestion that he try and shoot it with an arrow. "No Daddy that won't work!"



Eventually I pronounced the deer dead, and gathered the hunters together for a group picture.




Then I hefted the mighty buck over my shoulders and carried it back to camp.



After gutting the deer, I pulled out the goodie bags and distributed them to the very excited kiddlings. It was a successful hunt.




Unfortunately though it looked more like a gangland beating than a deer hunt, but Bowden liked it, and it was a lot of fun.


5 comments:

Kelly Visel said...

Yes, Lord of the Flies was exactly my thought.

Liana said...

teach 'em young!
I love this - and I'm sure Bowden will never forget it!

heidiann(e) said...

oh man, i love that. it would never fly here in ithaca... but it really should. oh, that is SO cool.

Abigail said...

It should fly anywhere.
I love Bowden's self-assuredness in getting the candy from the deer-butt. That boy won't be easily stopped!

You and Sarah need a medal of Model Parenthood, and I'd get you one if I knew where they were to be had.

Grant Jaffarian said...

Hey josh it’s grant! do you mind taking down the photos of me on this post? Miss you and Sarah and the family hope yo see you soon!!