Friday, July 21, 2006

The Pee Wee Study

I'm putting together a Bible study based on the film "Pee Wee's Big Adventure." Any ideas for possble study topics? I have some ideas I have begun working on and I am very excited about it.
But I know that my readership contains some fine minds, who would certainly appreciate the relevance of this film, and the wealth of possible illustrations and discussion topics contained in the same. I think it shows great promise as a springboard for discussion about deeper things. Is it too gimmicky? Maybe patronizing? NO! It is perfect, and I will not be swayed.
So I am asking if any of you could wrap your minds around this and give me your thoughts. I would most appreciate possible themes and study topics. I am very excited about this Bible Study and I am planning to use it as the optional study for next years summer staff. ...Or maybe I'll make it the mandatory one. I haven't decided yet.

3 comments:

Rev. Michael Jordan said...

Francis Buxton: "My daddy says everything's negotiable." A natural springboard to talk about the cost of commitment to Christ?

The dream sequence with the bike being lowered into hell also could prove a dramatic impetus for conversion--any slacker staff would likely drop to his/her knees on the spot.

Could also use the scene with Pee-Wee calling from Texas and singing, "The stars at night, are big and bright" and the whole street responds "Deep in the heart of Texas." Use it to start a penetrating discussion about our culture's lack of shared reference points and the need for a united church.

Just some ideas...

barefootkangaroo said...

Outstanding! ...and what an honor to be visited by Michael Jordan- a bright sunny spot from the shadowland known as Houghton. Those were thoughtful ideas as well. I'm impressed by your knowledge of the film as well as your insight into spritual things. Thanks.

Rev. Michael Jordan said...

Wow--a "bright sunny spot!" thanks...