Friday, June 16, 2006

HAPPY FIFTH ANNIVERSARY!!!!!

Five years ago today Sarah and I were getting hitched. At the time we had, what we called, the "five year plan," which basically meant that we would wait five years to start having kids. Well... five years later we have two kids. We're not very good at self-imposed goals.

If I didn't believe in a purposeful God who was intimately involved in the affairs of men I would find the whole process by which we find a mate and build a life together very strange. I mean how do you go from meeting a complete stranger to doing the most silly intimate things together and being more connected to one another than you are to your parents and siblings in so short a time. I would call it strange and arbitrary that I (from the 802) met Sarah (from the 818) , felt a connection, severed ties to our respective families, "cleaved" to one another, and started making babies and a home except that I see God's fingerprints all over it.

I think one of the most important conversations sarah and I had pre-marriage was at Houghton as we were walking out towards the Genessee River after a wings and soda date at the Piza Barn. We had already decided that we were going to get married although we weren't officially engaged yet. We were talking about divorce, and Sarah said "I don't care what you do I'm not going to divorce you." I thought at the time that she had spoken a little too forcefully in the passion of the moment, but as I have lived and loved with Sarah these five years I recognize now that there is a depth to her commitment and love which reminds me of our savior Jesus. She is Christlike in this repsect, she doesn't love me because I possess some secret combination of looks, personality and accomplishments any more than Christ loves me because I am less sinful than other men. Her reasons are mysterious, but I rest secure in the love that my wife and my savior have for me. Of course sarah is very human, and even her love and commitment pales next to that of Christ, but I have learned some things about God through living with sarah. I told a friend recently that if it is the Lord's will for him to get married the girl who he should marry will not only not come between him and God, but she will bring him closer to God. God is jealous, and he doesn't want any human relationship to replace Him in our lives, but seek ye first the kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you. Somebody once said (and I paraphrase) that "love does not consist of looking into one another's eyes, but in looking outward in the same direction. I am thankful that sarah loves the Lord. I am thankful that she loves me, and I am thankful that she loves our children. I am thankful that our marriage is based on mutual commitment to God and not a flimsy emotion.

Happy Anniversary Dearest! I love you!

3 comments:

Liana said...

Happy 5th Anniversary, Josh & Sarah!

(Now I can always remember the date, for today's my husband's birthday as well)

Hope you have a wonderful, blessed day together!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary :)

misserose said...

wow! that was my brother and his wife's anniversary too! the fifth!! do you know what that means? i was wearing a bride's maid dress on the day of your wedding.

hahahaha