Wednesday, March 29, 2006

QUESTION OF THE DAY


Of all the mice that have ever lived, from the present day all the way down to the first mouse, have more of them been killed by animals and men or have more died of other causes like starvation, disease, or drowning? Which side carries the balance?

Sarah and I have a drawer in our kitchen, which the mice seem unusually atracted to. I once caught 5 mice in as many days in that drawer. I had to throw the trap away because it was covered in gore- dried blood, fur, and other matter. It was too disgusting to handle with my bare hands so I threw it out. It was a good trap though. I finally wrote a letter to the mice and left it in the drawer, and they haven't been back since. If you are have having problems with mice I would invite you to use the same letter which I have posted below.

Dear Mr. Mouse et al,

I'm sick of your leavings,
And midnight thievings!
You're a nasty pest!
An unwelcome guest!
You belong out-of-doors-
Not here in my drawers-
So get out of my house
You filthy mouse!

I'm afraid you simply don't belong
But please, oh please, don't get me wrong,
I think you mice
Are perfectly nice
When you stay where you ought to be
Which is to say
You ought to stay
Out of my house and pantry.

Sincerely,

Your Unwilling Landlord, Mr. Tate

2 comments:

Rocket Surgeon, Phd said...

The mice in the Phillipines are mostly rice-fed and are thus a prime food source for the Filipinos. To hear them say it, they eat mice there with the same frequency with which we eat peanut butter here.
I've been told this is also true in other, near-by Asian nations where trapping them is very easy and eating them is magically delicious.

I'm going to offer up that I believe most mice who have died (outside of natural aging) have died by the human hand or cat's paw.

barefootkangaroo said...

I have to agree. Definately more have been killed:

Full of worry
Scurry and hurry
Is the life of the mouse

For cats and hawks
The owl and fox
And many more hunt the mouse

In fact there are few
On whose menu
You do not find the mouse